Have you hired a social media person or have outsourced the services? You for sure are not paying them peanuts.
There have been an emergence of roles & goals around all things social, content, viral, online, digital etc. and the trend is only going upwards. But I believe, as a professional in the mentioned areas, that very often the deliverables offered by social media professionals are not sufficient, and at times not even apt. Social media is not just about 5 posts, some boosts, advertisements, and designs offered for those posts. Why do I need so much designing for Facebook posts, whose self life is probably 1 day , or for twitter, where it lasts for just about a minute or lesser (until someone digs deep into their timeline.
It starts with a holistic understanding of the client, their offerings, products, services, their USP, gauzing their identity, analysing their goals, and how can social media aid to it. It is all done in a detailed manner, meetings, conversations, being in their workspace, observations, not to mention n number of questionnaires designed as per the client r account at hand. And it can not be done in a week or even a month. For me it takes a while to get into the minds and hearts of the customers of my client, not just into the heads of the client.
For me, an ideal & effective social media person has to be doing the following for you, or else they are worth only firing!
So, fire your social media people, IF:
- If their creativity quotient is not high.
- If they do not design you a SM Calendar.
- If they do not bring newness to the table.
- If they know not microblogging, and tweaking posts as per the platform.
- If they do not execute contests on Social media channels
- if they do not strategise your online presence
- if they do not know how to time your posts as per your audience
- if they do not remember your what is your online target segment at the tip of their tongues.
- if they do not know how to balance automization, scheduling & being present at the big SM moments, the key lies in being agile.
- if they are not updated in their industry
- if they are not wise enough to budget and target the social media ads.
- if they do not give you a Report card (insights) on their own performance ( you can sure kill them for this)
- if they do not have teenager friends, ( now am joking on this) But they need to be as agile and adaptable for newness in the social media world just like how today’s smartphone teens are!
- if they are not ready to offer site visits to understand you & your clients.
- if they know not how to upscale your presence, with changing times.
- if they know only photoshop & design images, and know not the rest of the alphabets of SM world.
- Lastly , if they charge you a bomb, without you moving an inch in your bottom line sales. Fire them!
It is not just my belief, but practise that in a very minimalistic but smart way, a lot of those social media KPI’s can be achieved. Advertisements is not the only hack to winning over your company’s social media presence.
( Smartness in all the above, calls for constant learning, practise, experimentation & a beautiful creativity & ideation quotient) And its not easy to find..
Image Credit: Designed using “Over”!